This resource, 'Someone on the phone: changing an appointment', is part of 'English in my home', which aims to give ESOL learners the confidence and the language to deal with situations they may encounter in their homes. In this lesson, learners watch a film and practise talking about appointments on the telephone.
This resource has been produced in two different formats:
- a self-access resource for learners with online activities
- this teacher’s pack, including teacher’s notes and worksheets to download
Approximately 2 hours. Timings are flexible and it could take considerably longer than this.
- To enable learners to handle conversations concerned with making or changing appointments
- To enable learners to write an email concerned with making or changing appointments
- understand the gist and detail of the film
- learn and speak using some vocabulary from the film
- practise using the Present Continuous tense to speak about future arrangements
- practise reading and writing emails concerning future arrangements
You will need:
- An interactive whiteboard or data projector to show the film 'Changing an appointment' or computers for each learner/pair of learners, with headphones or audio speakers.
- Learner handouts (pages 13 - 18) Prepare cut up versions of page 17 for each pair.
- If internet access/computers are not available, you will need to prepare your own audio recordings using the transcripts provided (Pages 19 – 20)